Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

The One Insanely Sunny Day

Since my aunt works all day, she always pours a lot of love into breakfast and it means a lot to her for us to all enjoy our first meal with or without her. She's so sweet. Look at all this food! :) She even made me miyukgook (seaweed soup), because it was my birthday (Korean tradition).


And though it was SO hot outside, JiSung oppa (big brother) and I went to Gyeong Bok Gung (- the main palace of the JoSeon dynasty - to learn some Korean history. This is us within the main gates, in front of the Geunjeongjeon.


The palace was originally constructed in 1394 by King Taejo, the first king and founder of the Joseon Dynasty. Gyeongbokgung was continuously expanded during the reign of King Taejong and King Sejong the Great, but the majority of the palace was burnt down during the Japanese invasions of Korea (1592–1598). During the regency of Daewongun in 1867, the palace buildings were reconstructed and formed a massive complex with 330 buildings and 5,792 rooms. Standing on 4,414,000 square feet (410,000 square meters) of land, it was a symbol of majesty for both the Korean nation and the seat of the Korean royal family...

But from 1911, the Japanese government again systemically demolished all but 10 buildings during the Japanese occupation of Korea and ultimately constructed the Japanese General Government Building for the Governor-General of Korea in front of the throne hall, Geunjeongjeon, in order to eradicate the symbol and heritage of the Joseon Dynasty. In 1995, that building was torn down. This is what it used to look like:


This is what it looks like now:





Anyway, all the terrible and sad history between Korea and Japan is very important but has left residual dismay towards Japan in the minds of many Koreans. However, I'm very lucky to have grandparents who have had a very different view of the Japanese even through and after the occupation - which helps to provide perspective and balance for me. My grandma is still fluent in Japanese and their closest friends have always been their Japanese classmates and colleagues who moved back to Japan. During my stay with her, my grandma told me all about her friends and even showed me all the gifts and visits they exchanged over the years. I guess love knows no race.


One of the interesting things I learned that stood out to me was how the king's quarters (below) were intentionally designed to be simple and not overly ornate. The king instructed this to be done as an example for the people in his kingdom to live humbly. Who knows if this is all baloney ... But it sounded nice on the earphone tour rentals.


Hello Mr.Guard. Man, these guys must have been DYING in their costumes because I was in a thin dress and I was sweltering!


After we toured the grounds of the palace, we were completely melted. So, what better than to head to SamChongDong for some DongDongJu (rice liquor) ...


... And some ice cold NengMyun! (I had a few bowls of NengMyun during my stay, but I have to say this was my favorite. They used the chewy black 'chik' noodles I like too!)


And some galbi dduk, which is essentially ground up bulgogi grilled in a patty form. You can bet your bottom dollar imma be making these when I get back!


And some seaweed and abalone Kal (knife) Gooksoo (noodle). It's called this because it uses a technique in which the flattened dough is cut into thin noodles with a knife.


After we cooled down and the sun had set a bit, we headed to the baseball stadium for a Samsung Lions vs. LG Twins baseball game!


We had banging seats 3 rows from the field behind first plate. The crowd was cheering, LG was winning, we drank beer with straws ... It was great!


Thank you JiSung oppa for a great day!

No comments: