Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Korean Independence & Pride

This is the the Korean Liberation Gate, to commemorate their release from Japan's occupation (8/15/1955). It stands kind of randomly in the center of a busy residential intersection. Apparently its location was shifted a few yards to allow for construction of some sorts - which sounds insane to me. If you move a historical structure from it's original location ... Does it mean you've altered history itself a bit? It just doesn't seem right ...


It may be an example of how this country has grown and evolved so rapidly. Though not in its original place, this gate is still here. To many historians' chagrin - many other cultural landmarks in Seoul have been regrettably demolished to make room for modern, fancy, sky scrapers and structures. However, amidst some regrettable choices in the face of accelerated growth, there are still a lot of positive advances as well. It is arguably true that Korea has come a long way in just 50 years - from a 3rd world country to now an emerging nation in the far east.

Another thing that is still intact is the house my mom grew up in in SamChonDong!!! That shuttered store front was grandpa's pharmacy! Mom - Eemo said you didn't have a chance to see it last time you were in Korea, so I took lots of pictures and videos for you :)


We had dinner with my aunt's pharmacy assistant who has known me since I was like 3 yrs old. Haha. Knowing I was going to be at my aunts house for a few days, her mom even made me some sangehtang! How sweet :) We had dinner in an old house in SamChonDong known for their seasoned fresh crab. It was a lot saltier than the one I ate with Calvin and Gina, but was still yummy.


I guess there's been a lot of 'revisiting the past' throughout my summer travels... Must be part of the list of themes I didn't expect :)

No comments: