Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Love and Restoration

Though it's been difficult at times, I'm really glad I'm here to help and it's been interesting to hear all the stories of times past from my grandma. If not now, when would we have had such a chance to spend such time together? I know she appreciates me being here, which makes everything worth the while.

After church on Sunday, we all went to a park in Bundang that my grandfather loved very much...


And had lunch at a nearby duck BBQ restaurant. Grilled and smoked duck is really popular here now because apparently it's really good for you...


After that, it was just me and grams, so Project Granny commenced with just the two of us. This week, I've been spending most of my time cooking, cleaning, and chatting with my grandma - so I haven't had a fair chance to really fully gather my thoughts of emotions. It's been kind of 'take it one day at a time' kind of situation. I've been dealing with a lot of emotions and adult things regarding death and family in a very short period of time. That's not my forte, but I think it'll all come together once I have some time to actually process it soon.

In any case, here are some things I've been cooking for her this week... She loves sandwiches so I made her a tuna salad sandwich and she loved it! Said it was just like the sandwich she found at a store once that grandpa really really liked.


Kong Gook Soo (cold soybean noodle soup). She said she never tried making this at home before and was so happy to try it. I wish I could have made it for grandpa because he loved this dish, but I know he's having an even more delicious feast where he is now - so no worries!


Gol Bengii Jjol Myun (umm I dunno what Gol Bengii is, but I think it's kind of like escargot of the sea + cold chewy noodles). She had never ever eaten Gol Bengii before so she was so excited and intrigued to try it with a nice glass of makguli (traditional Korean rice wine).


Fresh silky soybean tofu with some kind of sauce i made up to imitate what I had eaten in Tokyo :)


Japanese Ka Ray Rice - Cant go wrong with this comfort dish!


I've cleaned pretty much this entire apartment and it's actually been really therapeutic for me. It's also helped my grandma to feel like she's living in a new house and ready to start a new chapter! Wonderful :) Today I cleaned all the sliding glass doors in the house and she was so happy because it made the house significantly brighter and more cheerful. She was so excited to sit by the window and enjoy reading on the veranda again :)


Though we were blessed with sunshine on the day of my grandfather's funeral, it had rained without pause every day since ... Until today! So I seized the moment and went for a hike in the mountains behind the apartment.


I got pretty torn up by mosquitos but it was still really great to breath the fresh air, smell the trees, and enjoy the mountain my grandma loves so much. Afterwards, I took a stroll down the hill and visited some orchards and farms and saw so many beautiful flowers!




















Thank you God for blessing this family. Thank you for this opportunity to serve this family during this season. Your plans are indeed always perfect.


1 comment:

dongwook said...

wow,,,,,,already Gol Bengii Jjol Myun ???
how about me.....I am hunger for this food, toooooooooo