Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

To Nasu with the Iinumas

Today I utilized my last day of my JR Pass to reserve a seat on the Narita Express Shinkansen. This bullet train is so super fast and you wouldn't know it bc the ride is so smooth. To give you an idea, the ride to Kyoto the other day took a little over 2 hrs on the regular Shinkansen - not even the fastest option. By car, that distance takes 8 hrs. Yeah. That's fast. Seriously fast. Take that, Amtrak!


I had onigiri for brekkie :) I love that I can eat rice for breakfast here!


The Iinumas' flight was delayed 1.5 hrs bc there were turtles on the runway!


I met them at the arrival gate at Narita and though I thought the kids would be tired from the long ride from NY, they were boisterous as always :)


We drove up to Nasu and passed fallow land on farms that we speculate will not be able to harvest or sell their crops this season due to the radiation in the soil. Though the water supplies have been tested and declared safe, the radiation falling from the rain is still harming vegetation and the animals dependent on it, such as livestock. I've been told that cattle farms are keeping their cows off the grass and feeding them imported hay.


After a few short stops, we arrived at Kaz's parents house in Nasu. They are so generously opening up their homes to us as our host family in both here and Sendai, where they also have a summer home.


Here is the beautiful view from my room's window. Going to sleep to the ribbetting of froggies and waking up to the chirping of morning birdies has been really wonderful.


After we settled in, we had a really healthy and refreshing somen dinner. I added it to my 'must make' list ... :) And cherries - my fav! - for dessert!


Kaz's mom makes fresh bread every night!! She is a wizard in the kitchen!


And Kaz's dad makes real green tea every night as well! He's also so handy and such a great craftsman. He's made so many things in his toolshed for practical needs around the house, like a breadbox for slicing bread - I wish I could stay longer and learn from them both!


Good night, from Nasu!

No comments: