Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Japanese Brekkie, Church, Shrine, Nabe!

What a pleasant surprise! I woke up Ski cooking a fantastic home-cooked Japanese breakfast! Man, this is what breakfast should always be! Mark - I understand what you mean about Japanese breakfasts now. Perfect balance of healthy, fresh, delicious, small dishes.


Thanks, Ski!


And then I headed to Shibuya to attend Every Nation church in Tokyo called Grace Church ... In a karaoke-like club. Haha. Love it!


Worship was beautiful - just great to be worshipping our Lord in one same harmonious voice in dual languages.


What a great bunch of wonderful people from all walks of life! Do you remember that guy (sorry, I forgot his name) from MSNY? Friends of the Iinumas? Hoek - He remembered you and said hello!


And then I walked around Shibuya to shop and people watch. Aren't these little plants the cutest?!


And then bought some takoyaki, but was distracted by...


Set menu of rice thingy with tea... Oh man this was good! I'm totally gonna be making this when I get home!! Mark - You are a lucky man! You and your tummy are definitely going to benefit from my Japan visit :)


Then I stopped by 109, which is a trendy fun department store for young girls. It's so dizzying and so fun! Everyone has such different tastes and styles and it's so fun to shop here!


Even on my fanciest day, I couldn't compete with how dolled up some of these girls are. Everyone is so pretty and adventurous :) but man, it must take them ages to get ready in the morning. Haha.


So expressive and so fun!


And then to get my conservative fill, I headed to Harajiku to check out the Meiji Shrine.


Beautiful ladies in kimonos.


Wines consecrated for the gods or the shrine, I believe.


The tradition is to cleanse the hands (left, then right) and rinse the mouth before entering the temple.


So serene and lovely...


There was an area for folks to write their prayers and hang them under a massive prayer tree, which the monks pray for each morning...


Hopes, dreams, woes, transgressions, wishes, blessings, and all ... Laid under a tree ...


There's a very deep sense of peace on the compound. People of all shapes, sizes, ages, and races. Hiking into the forest to experience a slice of peace and hope.


This was a poster of a traditional buddhist wedding procession...


And then, the real McCoy! Her kimono was so pretty! And her hair so elaborate. The guy looked like Evan haha. The limo she got into had a special hatch on the roof that opened to let her in without messing up her hightop hair too! Man, they think of everything!


Harajiku was crowded with lots of pimply junior high school kids haha. Not much to see but was fun to see where kids were hanging out with friends in Tokyo.


I'm pretty sure Michael is dead, but I guess some can argue otherwise...


For dinner, Ski and Miki took me into a quiet hidden ally to what looked like someone's house for Taiwanese nabe...


Oh MAN! Was so good. The placements were all ready and waiting for us when we arrived. Service here is unmatchable! I think we ate for 2hrs - and then we rolled home :)


Another wonderful day in Tokyo! I hope I can remember all the tastes so I can replicate them at home :) too bad cameras can't capture smells (yet)!

1 comment:

The Internet and The Unicorn said...

this all looks so wonderful! the rice thingy with tea - you can - luckily! - get that in NYC! I just had some a couple nights ago at Hagi!

But I'm sure there are more choices in in Japan.

Hooray for delicious food!

-T