Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Underbelly of Bangkok

Last day in Bangkok, I decided to join a bike tour that focuses on the 'unseen' Bangkok. The Bangkok beyond the major tourist attractions, through back alleyways and unmarked streets. When I arrived at Grasshopper Adventures, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that I would be joining a family of 6 from the Netherlands; 5 boys ages 5-11 and their parents... But I bit my lip and hoped for the best and whaddayaknow, since the Netherlands is the land of biking, apparently, the kids biked better than even me!


Our leader, Seen, led us through unseen neighborhoods - many built from wooden boards and tin sheets. There is a surprisingly intricate 'system' of smaller rivers branching off from the main river that flows through many of these neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the age old concept of throwing rubbish into the river has not yet been curbed - so sadly, the amount of trash flowing into the waters through these sub-veins was startling.


Away from the larger monasteries was this hidden forgotten Buddhist temple, tucked in between shack houses right in the middle of busy Bangkok. Apparently, the dwellers in the area kept it a secret for a long time since they were illegally occupying the 'sacred' land.


We saw a good number of temples...


Biked through some more streets...


To see more temples... (They were holding a 6-day funeral ceremony here)


Biked across a bridge...


And saw more temples... (Back in the day, the sacred scrolls were stored in a building such as this, surrounded by water to prevent destruction from termites)


I couldn't take pictures of the living areas I really wanted to capture because it felt rude and discourteous - and the alleys were so narrow (some banked by water on both sides), I probably would have crashed trying to take them!


This 'neighborhood' is occupied by Muslims who originally literally floated here from India 200 years ago. Once they decided to stay permanently, they built their houses on stilts and have stayed through many a floods.


We stopped by for a soda, so I took the opportunity to slurp down - what else...


Delicious bowl of fish cake noodle soup! Even if it was a thousand degrees, it was worth it :)


I also tried durian for the first time - and I liked it a lot!! It wasn't so stinky after all! Creamy and delicious.


We stopped to watch some school kids play during their recess. They were so happy to greet us in English :)


Lastly, we stopped by the last family in all of Thailand that produces copper plates by hand in a village called Ban Buk (I think), which is to imitate the sound of the pounding. Their trade has been designated a national heritage.


Beautiful. If I had enough money, I would've bought one. Truly one of a kind.


Then one last ride on the ferry to finish the tour.


I was pretty exhausted, but I decided to make my way quickly to the Royal Palace. On my way I saw this couple working hard in the (dirty) river, sifting something ...


The Palace was really amazing. The intricate designs and buildings were really amazing. To enter the grounds, it is mandatory that all visitors are fully clothed - so there are stands to rent clothes! What a clever business... Hence my Hawaiian shirt. Haha.


Unfortunately, I was completely exhausted...


And had a splitting headache, so had go speed through.


This was the Palace before the King decided to move the Palace location somewhere else.


Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not sure want these monster looking soldier things are but I've seen them all over Thailand. I think they have something to do with Buddhism or Hinduism?


Anyway, all in all, I'm glad I got to see more of Bangkok while I was there. It has a hectic but good way to end my Thailand visit. Now need to mentally prepare to make my way back to America :)