Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Krabi in 24 Hours - Part II

In the morning, I had a light breakfast of ripe mangosteens ...


And miniature finger bananas :)


And hopped onto the Smart Cook Thai Cookery School truck.


And then the driver realized it was just me, so I got to see in the front with him haha. Everyone is always so shocked when they find out I'm traveling alone haha. They always ask twice! Haha. "Just me... Yes, just me. No, I'm not scared. Yes, I'm having a great time. No, I don't feel lonely. Yes, just me." Haha. Each time someone asks, I feel more and more proud of myself! Good job, Michelle! :)


Luckily, our class was small. Florence and Vincent from France, Kirsten and Zyrah from Sydney, and me. Our teacher, Noot, was such a sweetie and man - she was good! We were all cooking different menus and she was totally on top of it - nothing went amiss!


We learned all about the Thai vegetables, spices, and techniques. This was a great education on top of the experience I had with the chef in Khao Lak. So glad I did it! I chopped...


I mashed...


I stuffed...


I steamed...


I sautéed...


And voila! Savory Beef Salad, Pad Thai, Chicken in Pandanus Leaves...


Steamed fish with Soya Sauce, Green Curry with Chicken, and Mango with Sticky Rice! (Bert - I learned that one just for you!)


Mmm mmm mmm!


After the class, we got a ride back to Krabi Town. They were nice enough to offer to hold my luggage and come pick me back up to take me to the airport a few hours later. Seriously, that is the nicest thing ever! Everyone told me to be careful and not to trust anyone etc etc, but I think I was really lucky. During the class, I got to chitchat with Noot and talk to her about how she began teaching classes there and what she studied in University and what her dream was for the future. I think that's become a recent curiosity of mine... Because everyone has a dream... Especially the people you meet while traveling...

Krabi Town turned out to be a lot less touristy compared to Ao Nang, but there wasn't much to do either. So I was really fortunate that Florence and Vincent had time to just hang out with me. I learned about how they met, where they grew up, what they were doing now (tourism marketing for a small French town near Germany called Lorraine, and in school studying physical therapy), and why they were doing what they were doing. We talked about globalization, cultural assimilation, the French vocational system restrictions, etc. It was so fascinating! Again, another great couple I'm so glad to have met along the way.


When the drive from Smart Cook came to pick me up, he brought along a sweet note and gift from Noot. On the way to the airport she even called to say goodbye and wished me well on my journey. How sweet is she? Amazing. Just amazing.


Maybe it's time for me to join FaceBook ... Haha ...

No comments: