Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Roaming in Bangkok

And finally, Bangkok. My final official destination. After spending all that quiet time in Khao Lak, being back in a bustling city made me miss Ha, Arthur, and the countryside.


But I only have two days in Bangkok, so I decided to take full advantage! So, after a good night's rest, I ate a quick brunch and started to head out. But for the first time on my summer trip, I didn't feel so good :( I felt my body saying, 'Take a rest...' so I sat back down and decided to rest by the poolside.


They were having a special for Thai massages, so I got a Thai Massage and Herbal Hot Press thing ... which was seriously hot. I don't think the lady knew what she was doing because she almost scalded my skin a few times haha. Poor lady...


After a few hours of rest, I started to feel better. Rather than waste the day in my hotel room, I decided to head out to explore the city. I jumped into a tuk-tuk...


Rode the SkyTrain...


Add some street meat...


Boarded a local ferry down Chao Phraya River...


It's amazing that so many people still live in little shacks made of plank wood and tin built on wooden stilts. Right next to luxury apartments.


And got off at Phao Pin Klao Bridge. Getting off, I was drawn to the sounds and smells of the nearby streets. People selling food off the back of trucks...


This is the Thai 'fast food' that Non was explaining to me. All the ingredients for a single serving of a solid meal wrapped into little plastic bags all for a couple bahts. Genius. I wish they had this in NYC!


I was on the hunt for some noodle soup. Any noodle in any soup would do! And then I found this little stop for green curry noodle soup! My favorite :)


Whenever in stop to ask for a bowl of anything at a local joint, it's funny how they all kind of look skeptical. I can see it in their eyes ... 'Can this foreigner handle this? For real?' Haha.


Busy busy Bangkok.


Sticky rice vendor on a bike.


Monk by the river.


I got on the ferry just in the nick of time, minutes before it started to downpour! Lucky yet again.


And then, right as the rainstorm ended, out came a rainbow! Right above the one Christian building ... in pretty much all of Bangkok haha.


It was a good day. Time to rest. Big day tomorrow!

No comments: