Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The End

Though Thai food was undeniably delicious, after not having tasted kimchi for over a week - I really needed something... So, naturally I turned to lamyun for breakfast at the Bangkok airport! :) man, it was the best cup of shin lamyun I ever had. Thank God for global trading.


En route back to America, since I purchased my flight using my American Air mileage, the itinerary forced me to land in Narita at 4:45PM and leave Haneda at 6:40AM haha. Lucky for me, Miki and Ski generously took me in for one last night. Coincidentally, there was a Japan vs. Korea soccer game on - so, we met up with ShinJi, his fiancé, Hiro, and his wife, Naoko. Sadly, Korea lost 0-3. I had to take on the shame by myself in that bar in Roppongi this time, but Japan better get ready for the next match!! Haha.


I'm really glad I had the overnight layover in Tokyo, since it allowed me the chance to see my friends in Japan one last time. It was a nice last hurrah to my Asian tour too.

But of course, all great things must come to an end... So, with bittersweet sadness mixed with a little relief and excitement, I headed home. I was lucky enough to get an exit row seat with plenty of legroom and was able to get a few good chunks of sleep. I detoxed my mind and felt so thankful that I had so many great things to go home to... A project back at Pfizer NY!! A lateral move into the Products Operating Group within my firm!! A great apartment! And of course, my wonderful friends and family. What a blessing... Having all these wonderful things waiting back home, it made coming home more exciting and not at all dreadful or sad that all the fun was coming to an end.

Unfortunately, I was so excited to land that I forgot to take any sensible pictures of any 'Welcome to America' signs or Mark's pretty face at the arrival gate. Haha oops. Once we made it out of the terminal, we drove through crazy traffic from JFK to Hawthorne NJ to see my mommy!


She made us a delicious brunch with kong gooksoo and bulgogi with mushrooms and so many great thing from her kitchen that I had missed.


It was a perfect welcome home meal :)


Then Mark drove us over to the store to see my dad too! :) (sorry, forgot picture again... I was just so excited to be back!)

I am proud and glad to say that traveled this summer with no regrets! There was nothing I didn't do that I wanted to do/see/taste/try/learn. It was a fantastic ride. It was definitely a ride of a lifetime and I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to do it. All the lessons I learned, all the people I met, all the personal growth I claimed... all memories I will hold dear for the rest of my life.

But I guess it's true what they say about distance making the heart grow fonder... Because, though the beaches were beautiful and the new adventures memorable, nothing could beat the comfortable familiar embrace of the people I love most. I am just so thankful for everything. God met me in all that I asked for this trip and he didn't leave a single prayer unanswered. In fact, he met me where I was and took me beyond where I could see to ask to be taken. He's left me speechless. Everything feels new again and I feel a renewed sense of thankfulness for all the evident blessings around me.

We may not be rich, but we're living comfortably in a clean and safe part of this country. We may not be drinking sparkling wine every day, but we can drink the water from the tap and not be afraid of the rain that falls from the sky. I may not have the perfect family of the perfect boyfriend or the perfect life - on paper - but this is perfect to me. This is just perfect to me. I wouldn't trade it or change it for anything in the world. Not for an around-the-world ticket, not for my own private island, not for anything. All of this - the traveling, the learning, the adventures - was made possible because I had a loving family and friends cheering me on, praying for me, and waiting for me to return safely. Without that, this would not have been a journey with a final destination - it would have been aimless wandering. And for that I am eternally grateful. For all of these revelations and this special time where God spoke and walked with me ... I will be forever grateful.

Thank you.

The end.


No comments: