Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

NYC: Kal BQ

Kal BQ
Lexington bw 23rd & 24th St
$$$$
Recommend: TBD




Ever since I left Korea, I've been craving Korean food. But real Korean food... Oh man... It was so delicious. I think I miss ddukbokki the most. The sauce ... the dduk ... the fried stuff in the sauce ... Oh I miss you ddukbokki!  I know I'll never find anything here that'll come even close - especially in the ddukbokki category, but I'm not gonna give up!  The first step was my decision to find some new options for Korean food. So, I went to check out a new fast food joint specializing in bibimbap just down the street from my place.


The owner partnered with Atomic Wings, but I didn't see anyone ordering wings. On the Korean side, they have bibimbap and kalbi and spam ramen on the menu. Haha love it.


Bibimbap - I loved how they didn't skimp on the toppings at all. They had everything right. Buttt, the marinade for everything was too sweet... Maybe that's why I didn't see many Koreans there?


Kalbi Platter - Again, looked right but the marinade was pretty much totally off. Like a non-Korean marinaded it... It was way too salty, and not sweet enough :(


This is so bad, but the eager beaver in me wants to help them get it right. Mostly because I really like their idea and I want them to succeed - but also because it's so close to my house and I would like to go there again. I don't think it'll work through Yelp. Maybe I can slip a note under their door ... I'm not joking.

No comments: