Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Recipe: Miyuk Gook (Kelp Soup)

Easy Medium Hard
Cook Time: 20 min

Recently I caught some wicked cold and all I wanted to eat was some 'miyuk gook' (kelp soup). Koreans have long believed the nutritional benefits of kelp.  It is tradition for women to eat this soup after giving birth bc it is so rich in nutrients.  I never before bothered to ask what nutrients, but apparently it's really high in iron and antioxidants and prevent cancers etc.  Time and time again, I am astounded that ours ancestors knew this kind of stuff before there were science labs etc etc.  I don't get it ... but it's proven over time - so eat kelp.  It's good for you.  And this soup is so delicious!

1. Rehydrate dry kelp in water to yield 1-2 cups.
2. Drain kelp (save 3 cups of water). 
3. Sauté 1 medium garlic, minced garlic, and beef chunks / mussels in 2 tablespoon sesame oil & 1 tablespoon soy sauce.  (I had cubed ham so I threw it in and it was SO good!)
4. Add kelp and sauté a few more minutes.




5. Add kelp water until mixture is fully covered.
6. Lightly boil for 10+ minutes.
7. Eat & Be (Healthy) Happy!


No comments: