Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sandy Buns

Hello, from Aruba!  Or like my mom likes to say, "Arllllloooooooooba!"  We left NYC right before the snow storm and was greeted by fine white sandy beaches surrounded by crystal clear aqua green waters.




It feels great not to think about a thing except my two goals: (1) Get a tan and (2) Eat local food untainted by tourism.  Both missions are turning out to be quite difficult to accomplish!  First, for whatever reason, God chose to create my skin to reflect the sun, not retain it.  But we're in Aruba!  So, I'm donning the lowest SPF my skin can handle and I'm hitting the sun!  Wish me (unburnt) luck!

Now the local food...  After a day of researching and chatting it up with a handful of local people we have encountered, we have found that "local food" is hard to define here.  Like many Caribbean islands, the island is comprised of a hodgepodge of many different cultures and ethnicities - and then completely covered by tourists.  So what do you get?  An island that is more like a giant U.S. suburban outdoor mall + foodcourt.  That's ok... We'll find something somehow!

As for now, we had lunch sandwiches at Salt and Pepper :)  Cute!


No comments: