Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

2-in-1: Omurice & Fancy ChoBap (aka Inarizushi)

I had a guest photographer & sous chef visit me today.  Everybody give MissB a round of applause!  We made some rice, chopped some veggies, and bam bam: omurice & chobap (Korean) / inarizushi (Japanese).  Usually, I like to make omurice for dinner and pack chobap inarizushi for lunch the next day.

Cook-to-Eat-to-Be Happy Time: 15 min
Difficulty: 1 2 3 4


Ingredients:
 
  • Squash - 1/2 
  • Carrots - 2 small or 1 large
  • Onion - 2 small or 1 large
  • Yellow Pickled radish*
  • Ketchup - 4 tablespoons
  • Eggs - 2
  • Tofu pouches* - 10 
* Can be found in fridge section of Asian supermarkets

Directions:
1. Dice onions, squash, carrots, and pickled radish.
 
Note: I use the assistance of a wide blade on the mandolin for the carrots and squash to slice them into long matchsticks before I dice them.  Faster and easier.  I also found some corn to add to the mix - Bonus!

2. Add a little oil to a pan and fry onions, carrots, squash, corn, and radish.
 
Note: I add the squash last to prevent it from overcooking and falling apart.

3. Add 3 (or more) cups of rice and fry together for another minute.

4. Transfer half the rice mixture into a bowl and carefully stuff tofu pouches and fold over edges.

 

5.  Add ketchup (to taste) to the remaining rice mixture.

6. Beat and fry 1 egg at a time, in a separate pan.
 
Note: Rather than trying to flip the egg sheet and risking disaster, I lower the heat and place a lid on the egg for the last 30 seconds to cook the top side.

7. Plate ketchup'd rice mixture in individual bowls, add egg, and attempt to create fancy zigzag ketchup design.

8. Eat & Be Happy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michelle, I love the egg trick. My omurice always came out looking beat up...
I will have to try this one tonight.
MY