Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Hearty Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup

What the heck happened to the weather this week?? When it’s this cold, all I want is a hot bowl of hearty soup. I used to always have a can of cambell’s chunky soup in the pantry, but after my first pot of homemade soup I haven’t been able to go back to the canned stuff. It’s so easy, so fresh, so not pumped with sodium, so delicious! Give it a try. You can even keep some of it frozen for another cold day.

Cook-to-Consume Time: 30 min (if you’re impatient) – 1 hr (if you’re willing to wait)
Difficulty: 1 2 3 4

Ingredients:

  • Chicken stock – 1 box
  • Egg noodles – 2 cups dried
  • Assortment of Beans (canned or dried)
  • Chicken – 2 boneless chicken thighs
  • Garlic – 1 teaspoon
  • Onion – 1 medium
  • Celery – 4 stalks
  • Carrots – 2
  • Potatoes – 4
  • little red ones (or 1 big brown one)
  • Herbs
Directions:
(Soup)
1. Soak your beans according to the instructions on the package.

Note: I learned my beans were suppose to soak overnight. Do I look like someone that plans that far in advance? I don’t think so. I just soaked them while I prepped everything else and chucked them in the soup. I don’t recommend this. They tasted better the next day after they had soaked in the soup overnight :) For simplicity, I recommend you go for the canned beans. But what I like about the packaged beans is they sell assorted beans (14 kinds!) good for soup.

2. Bring pot of water to a boil and add egg noodles. When ready, drain, wash, set aside.

3. Meanwhile, chop chicken and all eggies into bite-size pieces.
Note: Don’t chop veggies too small, or else they will disintegrate and become mush in your soup.

4. Add a little oil to a large pot and brown chicken. Add garlic / salt / fresh pepper, if you like.
5. Add veggies and chicken stock.
6. Add as much water as chicken stock. (1:1 ratio).

7. Add herbs you like. I put a pinch of the following: thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary + 2 bay leaves.

8. Add beans.
9. Boil for as long as you can wait. The longer the yummier.

(Assembly)
1. Add egg noodles to bowl.
2. Ladle soup over egg noodles.
3. Eat & Be Happy!

MrMC made curried rice to go alongside our soup – but unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture. I’ll get better at this picture business, I promise!

No comments: