Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Handmade Udon Noodles at Onya!

If you know me, you know that I love noodles.  The noodle gene runs deep in the Choi Family.  We could (and we have) eat noodles for every meal ... maybe even for several consecutive days.  I actually don't really like rice that much.  Gasp!  Someone once told me that's like an Asian person who can't use chopsticks.  It's funny because I'm totally a noodle person and MrMC is totally a rice person.  Must be true that opposites attract.  

I like soupy noodles best, but there's really no type of noodle I will pass up: sauteed, pan-fried, boiled, steamed, in a soup, not in a soup, in a sauce, not in a sauce, with meat, without meat, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Viet, Thai, Italian, flat, long, short, curly, straight, thin, thick, cold, hot, warm, clear, white, yellow, brown, crunchy, soggy, egg-based, rice-based, flour-based, slippery, dry, spicy, mild...  Noodles are so versatile!  There's so much you can do with noodles!  I love noodles!

So, a few of my girlfriends and I met up for a girly night at Donburiya and my friend mentioned that Onya next door made fantastic noodles - especially for lunch.  So, naturally, I dragged my lunch crew from work there the next day and we loved it!  The noodles were handmade fresh - so they were super chewy too!

Onya
143 East 47th St (bw Lexington & 3rd)
212-715-0460


No comments: